January flew by so fast! Just like that, the first month of 2016 is over. Before this year started, I told myself that I’m going to try to make my free time in 2016 as productive as I can. I thought that a good way to check whether I am on track is to try and blog what I’ve done at the end of each month.
So today, I will just go through some things I have been busy with this January.
- queeralley.com - Released
- This has been a project that I’ve been working on and off in the past year. I decided to stop procrastinating and to just release it live.
- This is a simple events list website. I currently get the events from Facebook’s Open Graph API.
- Technologies I’m using:
- Ruby on Rails
- Created a Facebook Group: BookTrade SG
- I love reading books. I do have a kindle but there are still times that I prefer reading a good old book over a kindle. But sadly, books are expensive. That’s why I thought that maybe trading books with people might be a good option for me to get access to more books without burning a hole in my pocket (and reduce clutter in my place in the process too). After all, that’s what I’ve been doing with my friends so I can get access to more books. I initially wanted to create a website for it. But honestly, getting traction is hard. That’s why I decided to just create a Facebook group for it. If I end up needing to create one in the future, I don’t know. But for now, I’ll just keep posting my old books there in the hopes that people will be willing to trade books with me.
- Current members: 91
- Started learning about React
- I decided to enroll myself in a course to help me brush up on my Frontend development skills. I decided to focus on React as suggested by one of my friends. So far, I’m 50% done in the course and I’m hoping that I can start a new project using React.
- I went to the gym 16x this month
- Tech Talks:
- Attended: 1 (PyData)
I think that January has been quite productive for me. I am hoping that February is going to be as productive (if not, more). I already have a few things I want done in February, and I’m hoping that I manage to kick off some of these things by February.